Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Nothing makes me want to buy CDs like CD companies suing granddads!

I'm sorry, but is this good publicity?

CNN.com - Who's targeted by music swapping suits? - Sep. 9, 2003:

"Durwood Pickle, 71, of Richardson, Texas, said his teenage grandchildren downloaded music onto his computer during their visits to his home. He said his grown son had explained the situation in an earlier e-mail to the recording industry association.
'I didn't do it, and I don't feel like I'm responsible,' Pickle said in an interview. 'It's been stopped now, I guarantee you that.'
Pickle, who was unaware he was being sued until contacted by The Associated Press, said he rarely uses the computer in his home.
'I'm not a computer-type person,' Pickle said. 'They come in and get on the computer. How do I get out of this?' "

On the other hand, some people apparently were a tad out of touch with reality:

"Another defendant, L.S. {abbreviations mine} of New York, said her Internet provider warned her two months ago that record industry lawyers had asked for her name and address, but she said she had no idea she might be sued. She acknowledged downloading 'lots' of music over file-sharing networks.
'This is ridiculous,' said L.S., 26. 'I didn't understand it was illegal.' {Boldface mine}
She said the music industry shouldn't have the right to sue.
'It's wrong on their part,' she said. "

No comments: