Friday, August 06, 2004

Haven't been here in an age...

... and just look at the place. Did I actually write about Lileks' "beautifully written piece" ? Meanwhile, I essentially disagreed with the essence of his whole piece.

So...at that time, I never read Atrios or Kos - or Wonkette, for that matter (though she didn't exist then). I was still just coming out of my political stupor that I'd been in since 9/11.
I knew I wanted to get rid of Bush, but I wasn't angry.
Over the turning of the year everything changed and scales fell from my eyes.
I had been badly deceived about the nature of our current government.
I could blame Bush, blame Fox, blame the Media...
But it was my fault. I deceived myself, thinking things were gonna work themselves out and just being unbiased and balanced was the right way to be.

Well, it is the right way to be. And I can be that way till the tanks roll over me.
But sometimes you have to stare evil in the face. And face it down.

That evil is what has happened to our country. It's not just Bush or Cheney. Not Rumsfeld or Wolfowitz. Not Newt nor Ailes nor Murdoch. Not even Dennis Miller. The evil is the sum of things that lulls us into accepting that it's ok to hate, humiliate, and kill...first the outsiders ... then each other. That is what is happening right now. We - AMERICANS - are displaying the self-indulgent hate-filled behavior normally seen in states which had absolute power or felt they should have absolute power: i.e., 1930s Germany, 1990s Serbia. We crush people, physically, abroad, and crush each other, politically, at home.

I hate it. And it must stop.

On that note:

I didn't realize that Lileks was a right-wing loon.
Which I am most definitely not.

No comments: