Friday, August 27, 2004

He got Bush into the Air Guard, now Regrets it, Praises Kerry

A great clip from former Texas House Speaker and Lt. Governor, Ben Barnes, who long ago got Bush into the Air National Guard at the Bush family's request to avoid Vietnam.

In this clip, partly from a campaign rally (please watch it), he praises John Kerry up and down INCLUDING his service in Vietnam AND his testimony against the War.

First part of Transcript (read the rest from Atrios)

Speaking to an audience:
"Let's talk a minute about John Kerry and George Bush, and I know them both. And I'm not name dropping, saying I know them both. See I got...I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard when I was the Lt. Governor of Texas, and I'm not necessarily proud of that. (audience laughs) But, But I did it, and I got a lot of other people into the National Guard because I thought that's what people should do when you're in office and you helped a lot of rich people. And I walked to the Vietnam Memorial wall the other day and I looked at the names of the people that died in Vietnam, and I became more ashamed of myself than I've ever been because it's the worst thing I did was help a lot of wealthy supporters, and a lot of people who had family names of importance get into the National Guard. And I'm very sorry about that, and I'm ashamed. And I apologize to you, the voters of Texas. (Applause)"

No comments: